Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Strada di L'Artigiani in Calvi area



I would love to visit this area to see artisans at work, and traditional crafts. Is it possible to do this from Calvi without hiring a vehicle - are there any good tours, or public transport options?




|||



I think you will need a car or some good walking boots! Some of these places are really tucked away in tiny villages served perhaps once per day by the buses (see www.corsicabus.org for details). I am not aware of any tour, but I%26#39;ll drop a note to one of their number and see if she knows any different. DTR




|||



Hello Nelson,



How nice to hear that somebody coming from so far away is interested in our crafts ! I am a ceramist working a few miles away from Ile Rousse and responsible for the Strada di l%26#39;Artigiani brochure. It is almost impossible to visit our small villages - if not situated on the seaside between Calvi and Ile Rousse, where there is a train - without a car or at least a bike with a pair of good legs ! No public bus services are available to link our numerous Balagne villages, alas. And for the time being, no organized tour is interested in us... In Calvi, you can visit 2 knive makers and also a glass blower (M. CAMPANA, initially working in the village of Feliceto). To visit the rest of us, do hire a small car or a motorbike for the day.



Do not hesitate to ask me any question about visiting our region, I was born in Calvi and among the too rare English speaking Corsicans...



Bye !



Catherine d%26#39;ANGELI




|||





Many thanks Derekthered and Condolina - great to have this information, and Condolina I will certainly be in touch when my itinerary is a little more definite. Nelson in New Zealand is a great area for handcrafts, especially pottery, glass and hand-woven textiles, so I am looking forward to seeing traditional crafts and visiting artisans at work in Corsica. Is the Strada di L%26#39;Artigiani brochure available from travel agents or on-line? I will think about hiring a car (or maybe even a bicycle - though it%26#39;s years since I%26#39;ve been on one, and I%26#39;m in my mid-60s...)




|||



Kokako, if you go nowhere else, make sure you visit Catherine d%26#39;Angeli%26#39;s studio in Santa Reparata. She%26#39;s too modest to say it in her post above, but she creates beautiful sculptures, makes exhibition-standard raku work and also runs pottery courses. I have one of her raku cats on my mantlepiece at home.





Don%26#39;t think of cycling up that hill to Santa Reparata however - it%26#39;s practically vertical!!! Hire a nice little car for a few days instead. DTR




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, October 14, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment