Monday, April 23, 2012

Air France carry-on restrictions

I am considering going to Italy from NYC for a 3 day weekend this weekend -- Air France with a connection at CDG is the only flight that will work for me, and I really want to carry on my bag for a host of reasons. However, in reading the restrictions, it appears that I am only entitled to 26 lbs TOTAL for both pieces of hand-luggage? This would seem to preclude anyone traveling for anything more than overnight to carry-on a bag. Can I pay extra for overweight hand-luggage? How is Air France in their baggage handling for checked luggage? (I simply can%26#39;t have them lose my bag when I am only going for 3 days!!) Thanks for any advice you can give me!




|||



No you can%26#39;t pay extra for overweight hand luggage, if your bag + handbag/purse exceeds cabin baggage size (56cm x 45cm x 25cm - 22 x 17.7 x 10 inches) or total weight (12kg), then unless perhaps they know the flight is half empty, something goes in the hold, see:



bonjourlafrance.net/air-france/airline-bagga…



You could simply take the bare minimum and buy stuff when you get to Paris, presumably it doesn%26#39;t matter so much if something goes astray on the way back. Or you could upgrade, as in business class you can take 18kg.



My advice would be to take the rules seriously: they might just not weigh your bag but what are you going to do if they do, and yours is overweight? Incidentally, these rules are pretty standard for Europe, it%26#39;s not just Air France.




|||



Thanks for the information. I am actually going to Positano (through Naples) and I always worry about checked luggage on a connecting flight. Will see what I can do to stay under 12kg.




|||



I have found Air France to be very accommodating with slight excesses. More than once my checked bag has weighed slightly over 50 lbs and no mention was made of it. But, I was prepared to remove and carry my notebook (full of notes, maps, etc.) if necessary. And, coming home, they%26#39;ve always let the two of us check a fifth bag.





But, I agree that it%26#39;s best to stay within the restrictions, as you never know where/when someone will enforce them rigorously, such as when you try to board at CDG.





You might want to consider purchasing/borrowing a lightweight carryon bag, such as a nylon wheeled duffle. A bag you carry on does not have to be as sturdy as one you would check.




|||



Not only are there restrictions on weight but on what you actually put in the bags these days. No more than 100ml bottles of fluids for example, carried in a transparent bag to show at customs, no nail scissors or clippers,nothing that you might be able to use that would threaten the safety of others. Carry on your essentials and treasures by all means,including carrying a change of clothes or whatever, but check your general luggage through. 99.8% of the time it arrives when you do and if not it meets up with you less than a day later at airline expense.




|||



The space available for carry-on baggage is pretty limited in the overhead lockers. And if there is too much weight there, they might collapse on the passengers if there is a heavy landing.





If you are really worried about the baggage not making the connection, book the bag from NYC to CDG, collect it at CDG and then check in again for the flight to Italy. But you will need at least 3 hours between flights at CDG to do this.




|||



How much stuff do you need for three days? My just-too-big-to-carry-on roller suitcase when packed full is rarely more than 13kg.




|||



My wife and I each have a 17 inch wheeled carry on bag, that when packed weighs less that 10 kgs. We went to Italy for 3 weeks with this. Three days should be a breeze.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 14, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment