Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Paris Individual Sigtseeing at night and early morning.

Hi



I have 17 hours layover in Paris; from 4:00PM on Sunday to 6:00AM on Monday. I want to rent a car (to store our laguage) and go do Paris sightseeing by night with my Wife. I looked on the forum and know about the fattirebike tours and many night bars. Not our cup of coffee.



Could you direct /suggest me to the other things we can do?



What is romantic and safe in Paris at night (and morning) hours?



Thank you vry much for all your suggestions and help





Cheers,





Robert






|||



Robert, Paris is a walking city, with great options for public transportation.



How about instead of renting a car, just book an inexpensive hotel room. You can store your luggage there, and freshen up. By the time you rent a car, put up with wicked Paris traffic, and pay to park it, you could save some money, and see more.




|||



Thank you for your reply. I thought about it too.



My pros are exactly as yours however my cons are as follow; I need transportation for all night (we dont plan to go to sleep at all) , that is after midnight too. Traffic is difficult but I hope that it will not be that bad on Sunda nigh/Monday morning. Also car with a GPS should help menavigate Paris.To top this all I need to be at the CDG airport at 6:00AM to check in for my flight back to US. And yes I am going to miss possibilities of taking the shower...but cest%26#39; la vive...just this one time...





Again thank you for your reply and I would be gratefull for suggestion of what to see and do.





Best





robert




|||



Don%26#39;t bother renting a car. Driving in Paris is a nightmare, which would be compounded many-fold by trying to do it at night.





Don%26#39;t bother sightseeing at night. Everything (attractions, restaurants, *everything*)is closed, and the lights go out about midnight (varies by attraction.)so there won%26#39;t be anything to see. (and what fun is sightseeing with your nose pressed against the locked security gates?) It%26#39;s cold and damp this time of year, too...adding another dimension of %26quot;not very fun%26quot; to the list.





Don%26#39;t even think about leaving your luggage in your car. Doesn%26#39;t matter where you park, you%26#39;ll return to your car to find the windows busted and your luggage long gone...and I%26#39;ve been reading that recently credit card companies (and rental car insurance companies) have quit paying out if you leave luggage in plain sight in the car.





Check into a hotel. Go have a nice supper. Have a decent night%26#39;s sleep. Then go to the airport for your flight.




|||



I really think it is not safe for anyone for you to drive at night. It is dangerous, and getting acquainted with Paris traffic in the night wouldn%26#39;t be something i would ever recommend. Plus you will be super tired, you will just want to have a good night sleep i guess. I agree with idea of the hotel, have a nice supper somewhere central, and then order a taxi early to make it back to CDG.




|||



Hi,



If night clubs aren%26#39;t your cup of tea than you won%26#39;t have much to do at night. Sacré-Coeur closes at 11PM, so that can be your last stop, and then just get some rest before your flight. As other posters have said, everything will be closed (except bars) by about midnight.




|||



Any possibility that you can increase your layover?





I agree--do not rent a car. At the main train stations in Paris you can store your luggage (Gare du Nord, Gare de Lyon, etc.) That would just cost you a few Euros.





You have time to get into Paris, see the Eiffel Tower lit up (lights twinkle after dark for 5-10 minutes on the hour each hour through midnight) see Notre Dame lit up, walk around Ile St. Louis (and perhaps have dinner here)--it is next to Notre Dame. Even the Arc de Triomphe is open in the evening and you could go up there and see the magnificent view.





How much luggage do you have? If not much, you could take the train into Paris. If you have a lot of luggage, you might want to take a taxi or an airport shuttle. There is also an Air France bus which goes into Paris and drops people off at a couple of distinct locations.





Since you are getting to Paris late afternoon, I think it is worth going into the city and enjoying the evening there. Then either get a room and sleep a few hours or go back to the airport to hang out--contented that you got a glimpse of the most wonderful city in the world.




|||



Hello Fellow Travelers !





Please let me thank you all for trying to help me. I REALLY apreciate it very much.





Also, risking to apear stubborn and/or stupid please let me reiterate my objectives; I have 17 hours in Paris, I am willing to be uncomforatble during that time in order to see the City of Lights, pun intended. I understand that Almost all (and after 11:00PM literrally all) attractions will be closed. I am willing to go to the Notre Dame and just walk around %26quot;inhaling%26quot; lights and shadows of this magnificent structure, the same goes with other attractions. Question is what are those attractions?



Would I prefer to have few days to do this and not be forced to give away good night sleep and drive in Paris rented mini van? But of course I would!, however I am willing to sleep back home (cannot do this on the airplane, not with my body habitus).





However since I am going to be in Paris with my Wife of 22 years one thing that I am not willing to compromise is our personal safety.





So please help me up by giving me hints to which places and locations would you go/take your Family if you would happen to have sleeples night and have zest for romantic walk (even if it is raining...).





Again, I thank you for your time, thoughts and replies!





best





robert




|||



Well then i think you will compromise your personal safety if you learn to drive in Paris in the dark. You can book a cheap hotel to store your luggage and then use the metro/ walk around. The Ile de la Cité with Notre Dame and the Conciergerie are lit up, the Louvre is also well lit up, the Opera. And with a car you can%26#39;t really appreciate, no time to actually look at things




|||



RobertToni !!



I am an earlybird, and I thought the area around the Bastille had a lot of nightlife, clubs, bars, for a snack, people watching and could be a good pitstop for you.



Drive as much as you can first and then pull in someplace to relax.



I am certain you will enjoy !!




|||



I agree with others in that you should not rent a car. Get the inexpensive hotel room and stash you things there while walking around. Since you are game to walk around and see the sights then I would recommend checking for a map on-line and walking the streets to see Notre Dame and St. Chapelle that are near one another, the Opera building, la Madeleine Church, place Vendome, Bastille and Place de la Concorde. In another direction you could walk up the Champs d%26#39;Elysees, see the Arc de Triomphe and head down Avenue Montagne to window shop the expensive shops and hotels. If you have energy and time you could take the metro to the Eiffel Tower and see it lit up at night. It really depends on what you%26#39;d like to see as walking does take some time. Somewhere along the try to find a place to eat or pick something up (if anything is open at that time) and take it to the Eiffel Tower for a probably cool and damp yet romantic picknick on a bench. Once done head back to your hotel room and freshen up then take a taxi to the airport a couple of hours before your flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment